Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Mediocre Bob's Steak and Chophouse??

Tina and I had the pleasure of going out with some family to celebrate mine and my brother Travis's birthdays since they are close together. We elected to go to Bob's Steak and Chophouse. I have for the past 12 years listened to Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket. A sports radio show. One of the hosts, Norm Hitzges has for years been doing commercial endorsements for it and I have heard wonderful praise about it. So I was very excited to be going to this place. According to most sources, "Bob's Steak and Chophouse" is consistently ranked as one of the best steakhouses in the country. When we got there the lighting was nice and moody and looked pleasant inside. We were brought out a round loaf of bread to start out with which was nice and flaky. We ordered some appetizers which consisted of calamari and different types of shrimp. The calamari was probably some of the best I have ever had. It was almost not chewy at all which is tough to do when eating calamari. The shrimp was also nice. After perusing the menu I went for the 22oz bone in rib eye. Of course all of the beef in the restaurant was of Prime cut. I ordered the steak to be cooked medium. Tina went with the shrimp scampi. The steak came with two side items. One was a whole signature glazed carrot. The other was a choice of mashed potatoes, cut fried potatoes with onions and gravy on top of them, or a baked potato. Tina and I both went with the cut fried ones with stuff over them. When our food arrived it all looked pretty good. My steak looked wonderful and upon first bite was as tender as a sponge. The first bite was the best. The look of the carrot was cool. The potatoes however looked like something I have made in the past. They looked like they were sliced potato chip style and shallow fried in a skillet till partly light brown. Then gravy and sauteed onions were put over them. My first thought upon looking at them was, this looks like something I made. That is not completely bad. I think I am a good cook. But I don't go to a place that is supposed to be one of the best in the country to eat something that looks and tastes like I made it. The carrot was also not my cup of tea. It had a strong ginger or nutmeg or allspice taste to it that I just didn't really like. The steak tasted good and I know a rib eye is supposed to have nice marbling throughout which causes the great tenderness, but it was full of fat all over the steak. Way too much fat I thought. So all in all I would have to say I was a bit disappointed. I had built this place up in my mind for 12 years or so and it couldn't live up to my mental expectation. Is it a good? Yeah it is. Is it one of the best steakhouses in the country? I would have to say at this point, I hope not. I would hope their are some better places out there that serve a great menu from top to bottom. Out of 4 stars, I would give it 3.

Jeremy

3 comments:

Scott Blog said...

I have to agree with you babe! The appetizers were great! My shrimp were good, but didn't have that strong garlic butter flavor I like from scampi. You forgot the dessert...for everyone else we had the key lime pie. It was very good! We also tried the creme brulee from our sister in law. It was absolutely delicious! I wish we would have gotten that one!

Amy said...

After that review I am surprised that you still gave it a 3. That must've been some good appetizers and first bite! I have to recommend Ruby River in Utah. I rank that #1 in the country. The steak was deliciously cooked, the service is amazing, the side baked sweet potatoe is something I've craved for a year now. Even the crust is so good that it tastes like you're eating candy! There is nothing I've found to be bad about this place, so next time you're in Utah make sure you go there cuz it's de-lish! :-) I myself am hoping to go there at least 3 times in 2 weeks while we're there in August!

Brianne said...

John and I went there once when his firm gave us a gift card... the steak was good, but I really didn't care for their signature carrot side either. I just remember thinking it was a cool atmosphere and mostly good food, but I'd probably never pay that much of my own money to go there again. Hope you still had a good birthday!